Everyone knows about bullying.. You slam a kid into a locker and it’s obvious who the victim is. Too obvious in fact, that nowadays people have resorted to behind the scenes bullying, anonymously voicing their opinions. Feeling safe with the mentality that it can’t be connected to them, if the person “snitches”. It's called cyber bullying, and it has to stop. Cyber bullying consists of "using technology, like cell phones and Internet, to bully or harass another person. Such as:
- Sending mean messages or threats to a person's email account, cell phone, Facebook, Formspring, etc.
- Stealing a person's account information to break into their account and send false damaging messages
- Circulating suggestive pictures or messages about a person
These are just some of the many forms cyber bullying can take on. Once posed on the Internet, it may never disappear, and continue to resurface and open old wounds. This like all other forms of bullying has an major impact on the victim, it can lead to anxiety, depression, and possibly suicide.
"Despite the potential damage of cyber bullying, it is alarmingly common among adolescents and teens."
- Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying.
- More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyberthreats online.
- Over 25 percent of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the Internet.
- Well over half of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs
Cyber bullies do not realize the hole they are digging for themselves, their actions and taunts will reflect badly on their character leading to rejection by a college or job. Many social networking websites have ways that bullying can be reported leading to the suspension or deactivation of the bully's account. Bullies can face legal consequences as well for their actions, especially if the bullying was sexual(such as sexting involving minors) which could lead to the bully being registered as a sex offender. Just because you use a fake identity doesn't mean you can avoid the consequences, there are many ways to track someone who is cyber bullying.
There is absolutely no need for these immature cowardly acts, it should be outlawed, and avoid the lost of a life that will be taken due to any form of bullying.